Sometimes you have to do things the long way. That was the case for this set of winnegas. One of my favorite local folks was being elevated to the Order of the Laurel, and I very much wanted to participate in the celebration. I waited a while until I was invited to the group, which was very appropriate. This gentle has been involved in the SCA for a long while and has a deep network locally. I wanted to respect boundaries and support everyone else that had claimed a piece of the celebration. The first thing I was invited to participate in was the the food- a very comfortable place for me to dig in. A few recipes from Eat Like a Viking were shared and the venison stew caught my eye. My dear spouse harvested a few critters locally and I have been sharing as folks have been interested. It's been a wonderful source of protein that is fat and allergy friendly.
Due to the nature of SCA vigils, I opted to make the stew into the filling for handpies. I followed the recipe in the book to a point... I added salt once the onion and leek and sweated, and left out the red wine completely. I reduced the amount of stock to about a cup (handpie filling, not soup). I also left out the rutabaga and added a third parsnip. The filling tasted lovely. I used purchased pastry dough because even I have time limits, but I did spend the time to roll out the dough thinner so that the ratio of filling to pastry would be more enjoyable. From a box of 2 9" pie crusts, I got 18-20 hand pies. It worked out well and I look forward to making it again.
My next gift was a set of winnegas. This gentle is TALL! The pair we knew fit him were 4 yards long for each leg, and about 3" wide. I warped up about 10.5 yards with 47 ends at 12 epi. It worked out perfectly. And because I knew the gentle would appreciate it, I did not use a sewing machine at all. I handstitched the hems using a bone needle. It was fun to be able to offer something practical that would be used. Now back to Pride Favors and the peplos I am weaving to show off an amazing pin suite I acquired :)
Comments
Post a Comment