Once upon a time, I started this blog with a post about foraging lichen and then fermenting it into dye. I was looking for this mystical lichen that produces a hot pink dye. Most lichens do not. We went on a hike over the weekend and I found myself staring at huge swaths of this stuff and did a quick search. Yup, the picture on the plant entry match what I'm looking at. Well, I guess we find some pieces that aren't attached and see what we get! So a few flakes came home, likely not even a full gram. And we'll see what happens in a few months!
It's a different color already - these photos show immediately in the ammonia/water solution, 24 hours of soaking, 36 hours of soaking. I will dye a few grams of silk lace to use in embroidery. And go back to that site to regularly collect fallen lichen!
Comments
Post a Comment